Thursday, July 9, 2009

At Home in Nakuru

It's grand. Muthoni and Evans are giving us the tour of a lifetime! We're out the door at 5:45am and 6am! We have been so lucky with pictures! I gave out Minnesota postcards to kids and had a million around me. For some it was the first time to see a digital camera and their image so quickly. Roberto was caught in the middle of a roadside market and snapped away all the while saying "She's buying" pointing to our friend! They were showing him produce saying, "Me, Me". (Later found out mimi is I in Swahili)
My Kiswahilii stinks! I'm almost getting greetings, but their usage is a bit different. You can say Welcome and thank you as a receiving greeting and the opposite as going away. Karibu and Asante our my best words.
Of course there are different prices for us white folks, so Roberto, Evans and I stood back while Muthoni did the food marketing. We did buy our own stones though and felt the prices were just fine, didn't even try to bargain.
Saw baboons and zebras by the road on the way into town today. Have already exchanged money and will head out to Muthoni's parent’s ancestral home where they live after 30 years in Mombasa as an accountant

1 comment:

  1. I can just picture Roberto taking photos of people - it must have been an amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete