June 14th
In just our first four days we’ve bought wood, stone, fabric, bead work and tea!
I don’t know if you could say we’ve shopped excessively, but we’ve left some beaming merchants. I guess the airlines expect the Kenyan flights to be baggage heavy just as the Mexico bound flights are at Christmas. They must top the fuel tanks and pray before lift off. We’ll be returning with 2 bags for Hellen including her Vita Mix, finger millet flour, ugali flour (corn), dresses, and friends’ requests in addition to our 2 big ones and carry on!In just our first four days we’ve bought wood, stone, fabric, bead work and tea!
If you’re coming to Kenya soon or to any aggressive market experience, begin practicing NOW. I haven’t perfected anything but am now ready to try, “I’m sorry you feel I have an obligation to buy from you.” Roberto’s great. Growing up in Mexico is a great advantage here. He’s even got the guys downtown speaking Spanish when he appears. The Masai market in Nairobi eventually had me too discouraged to even inquire about things I liked, lest I enter into a blood contract to buy. I did find the dress that had my name on it though and was satisfied with the price. Just when I thought we had way too many batiks, there’s Roberto getting more! I have a weak spot for the hand painted stationery. We are now proud owners of a quite large, hand carved zoo.

No comments:
Post a Comment