Thursday, July 9, 2009

Saturday Night Fever, Nakuru

June 28th
Love the dancing! Guess one needs to know where to go. Live music with songs lasting 20 minutes each – like the corridas – lots of repetition. Three electric guitars and a drum set. Under a huge thatch complex – open fires with roasting chickens by the entrance. I believe the whole night was in Swahili with a few Welcome to Kenya’s directed our way by the emcee. A mention was made of our brother Michael Jackson and his eternal reward in heaven. People don’t need partners to dance and the footwork doesn’t have to be fancy – a good thing given the crowd on the dance floor. Dancers can be reserved or get quite hippy and creative. After I ordered a gin tonic, I know a former British colony when I see one, I got to wonder about the safety of not being able to see it poured and exactly what was in it. Drugged drinks are an issue worldwide, I assume. But since we were taken there by Evans I just trusted and maybe it wasn’t on the radar here. Ha Kuna matata – the Schwepps tonic was brought in individual bottles, as was the hip flask of Gimley’s Gin. I brought home what we didn’t consume and 2 Excedrins later feel quite fine. What a luxury to have a driver. Evan’s friend/partner in crime, and very best mechanic John, was the designated driver. Felicia came, too and a great time was had by all!

2 comments: